UK and Ireland Join the List
The current administration just announced that, as of 11:59 PM Monday March 16, 2020, travelers who have been to the United Kingdom or Ireland within the last 14 days will also be prohibited from entering the U.S. The U.K. and Ireland join the list of countries that include the People’s Republic of China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau), Iran, and countries from the Schengen region (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland) on this list.
We have also received reports that ESTA registrations are being revoked, without prejudice, for the time being to minimize attempts restricted travels may make to enter the U.S. These individuals should be able to register for ESTA once again after the restrictions are lifted.
Again, some of the exceptions to the travel restrictions include the following:
- U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States (green card holders);
- Spouses of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents;
- Parents/Legal Guardians of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents, so long as the U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;
- Sibling of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents, so long as both are under the age of 21;
- Child, foster child, or ward of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents or prospective adoptee;
- Members of the U.S. Armed Forces and spouses and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces;
- Individuals traveling at the invitation of the U.S. Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;
- Certain individuals entering the U.S. for government business, law enforcement objectives, or in the national interest;
- Individuals whose entry would not pose a significant risk of introducing, transmitting, or spreading the virus, as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, through the CDC Director or his designee.
Clark Lau LLC is monitoring the above and related developments. The above is provided for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Please contact your Clark Lau LLC attorney to see whether the above impacts your circumstances.