Travel Restrictions for those from Europe
President Trump issued another Presidential Proclamation as of March 11, 2020 restricting the entry of certain individuals who are attempting to enter the United States and who have been in any of the 26 Schengen countries within 14 days of their attempt to enter. This proclamation adds to the prior two proclamations that restrict entry for those who have been in the People’s Republic of China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau) and Iran. Notably, the UK and Ireland are not included.
Certain exceptions to the travel restrictions include the following:
- U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States (green card holders);
- Spouses of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents;
- Parents/Legal Guardians of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents, so long as the U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;
- Sibling of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents, so long as both are under the age of 21;
- Child, foster child, or ward of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents or prospective adoptee;
- Members of the U.S. Armed Forces and spouses and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces;
- Individuals traveling at the invitation of the U.S. Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;
- Certain individuals entering the U.S. for government business, law enforcement objectives, or in the national interest;
- Individuals whose entry would not pose a significant risk of introducing, transmitting, or spreading the virus, as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, through the CDC Director or his designee.
Clark Lau LLC is monitoring the above and related developments and how this will impact those seeking admission to the U.S. and those who are here for a limited duration, such as those in ESTA and tourist visas.
The above is provided for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Please contact your Clark Lau LLC attorney to see whether the above impacts your circumstances.
See the link below for the full text: